Netherlands gambling sites
The Netherlands is one of several European countries where proposed law changes could have a significant effect on the way people gamble. Stay informed with the latest Dutch gambling news, make yourself familiar with the country’s gaming laws and discover the best places to have a bet online.
Best Netherlands online bookmakers
TOP 5 ONLINE BOOKMAKERS
Bet You Can!
Bet £10 Get £30 in free bets
Bet €10 Get €30 in free bets 30fVisit 888 Sport 888 Sportsbook Review
Sports Are For Winners
100% up to €100
Visit Betway Betway Review
|18+ Gamble Responsibly.|
Visit William Hill William Hill Review
#1 in the USA
50% matched deposit up to USD $5,000
Visit BetOnline BetOnline Review
There are hundreds of sports betting sites that accept gamblers from the Netherlands, but how do you separate the wheat from the chaff? These are a few of the things we at BettingPlanet.com look for in a bookie:
- Competitive odds
- Wide range of markets
- Lucrative bonus offers
- Fast, secure banking methods
- SSL digital encryption technology
- Fully licensed and regulated
The trusted bookmakers in the table above meet and every one of those requirements. We suggest signing up at multiple sites so you can compare the odds and ensure you always get top value.
Sports betting at Dutch bookies
- Despite the Dutch national team missing out on both Euro 2016 and the 2018 FIFA World Cup, association football remains the number one sport in the Netherlands. Eredivisie clubs Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV are regular qualifiers for major competitions such as the UEFA Champions League and the Europa League, while football betting sites do a roaring trade in foreign divisions such as the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue Un and the German Bundesliga.
- The Netherlands is a rare stronghold of field hockey beyond the current and former nations of the British Empire. As of Rio 2016, the men’s and women’s national teams have won a combined 17 Olympic medals and 10 Hockey World Cups. Bookmakers run markets for a number of top-flight leagues and tournaments, including the Hockey World League, the Hockey Champions Trophy and the EuroHockey Club Champions Cup.
- Volleyball ranks third in the Netherlands for participation rates among all sports. The Dutch have enjoyed no little success on the highly competitive international circuit, with the men’s team taking out silver at the Barcelona Olympics and gold at Atlanta 1996. Other major avenues for volleyball betting include the CEV Champions League, the European Championships and the FIVB World Championships.
- Holland is the home of baseball in continental Europe. The men’s national team has won the European Baseball Championship a record 20 times and has a history of upsetting powerhouse nations on the big stage, notably the Dominican Republic at the 2009 World Baseball Classic. Bookies cover the Honkbal Hoofdklasse and the European Cup, but most of the attention goes to Major League Baseball and the World Series in North America.
- Although basketball is gaining ground in the Netherlands, local competitions are far less developed than in other parts of Europe. Interest in the upper echelons of the game is strong, however, and Dutch betting sites take plenty of action on the National Basketball Association – especially the NBA Playoffs and NBA Finals – as well as Olympic basketball and the FIBA World Championship.
- We could make a million jokes about the Dutch and their love of bikes, but cycling is a serious sport in which Holland has a very good track record. Riders from the Netherlands have collected over 120 medals at the UCI World Track Cycling Championship, more than 40 of them gold, while the nation’s women have excelled in the UCI Road Cycling Championships. Le Tour de France is the biggest betting event of the year, closely followed by the Giro d’Italia and the Vuelta a Espana.
- Did you know that Holland’s Richard Krajicek was the only man to beat Pete Sampras in the Wimbledon singles between 1993 and 2000? Only a handful of Dutch players have made a big impact on the major tennis tours, yet there remains a healthy interest among punters. The Australian Open is one of the hottest sports betting events of the year, while the French Open, US Open and Wimbledon aren’t far behind.
- The KLM Open has been a fixture on the European Tour since 1972 and boasts a star-studded honour board that includes Jack Newton, Seve Ballesteros, Bernhard Langer, Jose Maria Olazabal, Payne Stewart, Colin Montgomerie, Darren Clarke and Martin Kaymer. Golf betting in Holland is all about the majors – especially the US Masters and the British Open – and international team events such as the Ryder Cup.
- American football
- Aquatic sports
- Australian football
- Gaelic football
- Greyhound racing
- Horse racing
- Ice hockey
- Lawn bowls
- Motor sports
- Mixed marital arts
- Rugby league
- Rugby union
- Table tennis
Best Netherlands online casinos
TOP 5 ONLINE CASINOS
All Slots Casino
3 x 100% Matched Deposits up to 500€ BONUS
Visit All Slots All Slots Casino Review
Royal Vegas Review
Jackpot City Review
Up to 200 free
Visit Wixstars Wixstars Review
|18+ Gamble Responsibly.|
As with online sportsbooks, we only recommend real money casinos that meet the highest industry standards for usability, security and all-round quality. The sites above are powered by the best casino software providers in the business and offer easy access on PC, Mac and mobile devices. Most importantly, they all hold licences with recognised regulatory bodies such as Curacao eGaming, Malta Gaming Authority and the UK Gambling Commission.
Popular casino games
- Online casinos have hundreds upon hundreds of real money slot games for desktop, tablet and smartphone. Choose from classic reels, video-style games, and advanced feature slots with interactive bonus round, as well as some of the world’s richest progressive jackpots.
- The game of 21 has long attracted smart gamblers due to its element of skill and low house edge. Internet casinos offer many different variants, ranging from traditional single-deck blackjack games to Spanish 21 with its myriad bonus payouts.
- These days, it is not always easy to find an affordable single-zero roulette table at a land-based gambling house. When you play online, however, you can enjoy low-edge real money roulette for as little as $1 per spin – even less in some cases – and take advantage of the favourable half-back rule.
- Punto banco baccarat is perfect for gamblers who want a straightforward game with simple betting rules. For those who enjoy high-risk wagers with big rewards, many online baccarat games come with a range of side bets that offer much better payout odds than the standard Player and Banker options.
- Live dealer casino games blend the instant access of online play with the real-world class of hand-dealt table games. Top live casino studios such as Evolution Gaming run dozens of real-time blackjack, baccarat, roulette and poker-style games, including a number of exclusive high-stakes tables for the big spenders.
- Arcade games
- Caribbean stud poker
- Casino hold’em
- Double exposure
- Instant lottery
- Oasis poker
- Pai gow poker
- Sic bo
- Three card poker
Online gambling laws in the Netherlands
The Netherlands’ liberal outlook on life has not always extended to gambling. The state-owned Holland Casino Group has held a monopoly on all gaming and wagering activity since opening the country’s first legal betting house in 1976. That system has raised the ire of the European Union, which demands fair competition in any regulated market.
The rise of online gambling has raised a whole new set of issues. In 2005, Dutch Supreme Court ruled that it was illegal for any foreign company to offer gaming or wagering services to residents of the Netherlands. The government has since attempted to block hundreds of offshore betting websites, even urging Apple and Google to hide all gambling apps from mobile users in Holland.
That state of affairs led UK betting companies Betfair and Ladbrokes to file a lawsuit against the Dutch government. They claimed the country’s laws were at odds with EU regulations, but the European Court of Justice declared that Dutch authorities had every right to ban online gambling if the purpose was to prevent problem gambling and criminal activity.
It is for these reasons that online gambling makes up only 13 per cent of Holland’s total gaming and wagering market – well below the European average. However, that could change if plans to privatise the industry and regulate online betting come to fruition. A government bill to that effect passed the lower house in Amsterdam in 2015, but it has not cleared the senate as yet. The proposal was put back on the table in 2018.
In the meantime, Dutch residents may gamble online at whatever international bookmakers and casino sites they can access. Although these operators are technically violating Netherlands law by accepting players from the region, the government has shown no interest in prosecuting individuals who use such services.
Latest gambling news and betting tips
[rm_recent_news title=”” ajax=”true”]