Online Betting Guide

MGM Resorts considers transforming Las Vegas site into SWAT base

MGM considers SWAT base on site

MGM Resorts has revealed the Route 91 festival site, where 58 attendees were killed last year, could become a Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) command centre.

The Las Vegas Village, owned by the American casino operator, could transform from an outdoor concert and event space into a law enforcement base, according to local media outlets.

“MGM has had preliminary discussions with Metro regarding the possibility of using a portion of The Village site for the purposes of creating a facility for the Metro SWAT team,” the casino operator told an independent journalist, Laura Loomer.

“The discussions are in the conceptual stages and no final decisions have been made as to the future use of the entirety of the property.

“However, consistent with our history of working collaboratively with law enforcement, utilising a portion of The Village site for law enforcement is one option we are exploring with Metro.”

Bovada online casino real money betting

While local authorities are still investigating the incident involving lone gunman Stephen Paddock, who shot at the country music festival attendees from his 32nd Mandalay Bay room on October 1. The massacre left 546 injured and 58 dead.

Officers pinpointed Paddock’s location 10 minutes after he began shooting at 10:05 pm, but it became clear he had semi-automatic guns which could fire almost automatically due to additional weapons, so they called for SWAT.

The tactical team arrived at 10:30 pm, around 15 minutes after Paddock took his own life.

While there are SWAT centres close to the North Las Vegas Airport and near the Las Vegas Speedway, retired Metro Police Luitentant Randy Sutton told local media that a base on the opposite end of the Strip would ensure a quicker response time.

DeShong revealed the site would not feature a training facility, and it’s not clear whether MGM Resorts will fund the transformation.

The Route 91 festival organiser, Live Nation, hasn’t said if the event would return in 2018.

Nevada regulator appoints first female chair

The Gaming Control Board, responsible for overseeing Nevada’s gambling activities, has appointed Becky Harris as the first chairwoman since the state established the regulator more than 60 years ago.

A.G Burnett announced his departure in December 2017, and the former Republican Senator for Nevada will take over his legacy, according to the announcement by the state governor, Brian Sandoval.

“Nevada’s gaming regulatory structure is the best in the world and it is imperative that the public servants who serve on this commission are beyond reproach and willing to make difficult decisions,” he said.

He commended Harris for her past work including her contribution to American gaming legislation, adding he is “confident she will continue to serve with distinction and integrity.”