The gaming software available at an online casino can make all the difference in determining whether the casino site is worthy of your time and money. Online players benefit from the stiff competition between rival gaming studios, as each software developer strives to outdo the others in terms of quality, features and entertainment. But which software developers have the best games? Check out our guide to the best online casino game developers below.
Best real money online casinos
|#1||BonusClaim up to $3,000 in bonuses||
||Join Us||> Review|
How to identify good online casino software
There are hundreds of game developers on the Internet, but when it comes to the leading online casino sites you will typically see the same 20 or so gaming studios featured the most, as the top-rated online casino vendors lean towards the most popular providers. Once you spend a bit of time frequenting online casinos, it is incredibly easy to identify the good gaming software from the bad, as the difference in game quality is evident through the quality of graphics, amount of bonus features and the level of detail and creativity that has gone into the game design. It is easy to tell the old games from the new, with casino software developers expanding their game designs as new technologies emerge.
In this article, we have provided an overview of the best online casino software developers, which are featured across the board at our recommended casino sites. You can head to any of our top-rated online casinos to sample games for free in practice mode to see for yourself what each gaming studio has to offer and determine which ones you like the best.
Top five software developers for slots and table games
With so many great software developers out there, there is no reason to waste your time or money playing subpar, lacklustre casino games. Look for games that are vibrant, colourful, eye-catching and engaging, with entertaining animation and sounds. In our opinion, the leading five software developers in the online casino industry, and the ones most heavily featured at our favourite online casinos, are:
- 1. Microgaming – Arguably the messiah of all online casino game studios, Microgaming is the longest running and most established casino software developer on the Web. This brand was behind the first online casino to open its doors back in 1994, and it remains one of the biggest and most popular casino software brands today. Many of the world’s leading online casinos are powered exclusively by Microgaming, with Microgaming offering hundreds of online slots, video poker, roulette, blackjack, baccarat, scratch cards and other table and number game variants. Microgaming is responsible for the world’s first ever stereoscopic 3D slot game and is behind the largest progressive jackpot network on the Internet.
- 2. NetEnt – NetEnt (officially called Net Entertainment) is Microgaming’s biggest rival, and some would say it has now successfully overtaken Microgaming as the leader in online casino gaming. NetEnt games are sharp, modern and engaging, and the brand is behind some of the most premium, popular online table games and slots on the Web. NetEnt shines brightest with its commitment to continual growth, with each new game NetEnt releases onto the market outdoing the last in terms of player engagement, entertainment, animation and themes. Some of the biggest ever jackpot wins at online casinos have been on NetEnt games and the studio has partnered up with such names as Universal Studios, South Park Studios and musicians Guns N Roses, Motorhead and Jimi Hendrix to bring all kinds of licensed slot games to the Web.
- 3. BetSoft – BetSoft is the leader in true 3D cinematic casino software, and is best known for its portfolio of heavily detailed and animated range of slot games, titled the Slots3 collection. Slots3 titles have more in common with animated films than then do with traditional computer games, and the customised software has allowed BetSoft to introduce all kinds of exciting, one-off bonus features to its slot games. In operation since 2005, BetSoft has grown with the times and in 2017, released a new desktop gaming platform called Shift to take advantage of the latest advancements in HTML5 software.
- 4. Quickspin – Quickspin is a Swedish game studio focusing exclusively on online slot games. The collection of games is relatively small compared to some of the other major brands, but you only have to try a couple of Quickspin’s games to see the focus here truly is on quality over quantity, as each title has been executed with impeccable detail, smooth game play and vibrant animations. Quickspin is committed to releasing at least 10 new high quality, unique slot games each year instead of just pumping out as many as they can handle. We love Quickspin’s special Achievements Feature, which is where players can claim bonuses and progress to unlock higher rewards based on their in-game achievements.
- 5. Play’n Go – Play’n Go is one of the online casino industry’s pioneering game studios and the company has been in business since the 90’s. While Play’n Go does offer a selection of impressive table games including roulette, poker, blackjack and baccarat, it is the Play’n Go slot collection the studio is best known for. Play’n Go slot games are very creative, with the developers putting a lot of through into themes which have not already been exhausted by other gaming studios. The company’s commitment to innovation was recognised in the 2017 International Gaming Awards (IGA) when Play’n Go received the title for Slot Provider of the Year.
Other casino software you can trust
In addition to our top five favourite developers, there are many other fantastic gaming studios out there responsible for creating some incredible online casino games. Some of the best, most trustworthy software developers you will come across at our recommended online casinos include:
- NYX/Next Gen Gaming
- Felt Gaming
- ELK Studios
- Pragmatic Play
- Rival Gaming
- Red Tiger Gaming
- Lightning Box
- Red Rake Gaming
- 1X2 Gaming
Best live dealer software studios
Live dealer software developers are in a league of their own when it comes to casino game development, as these live-streamed video games run on an entirely different platform to the computerised, RNG (random number generated) software used by the developers discussed above. As live dealer gaming grows in popularity and more competition emerges onto the market place, there are a few live dealer software developers who remain ahead of the pack:
- Evolution Gaming – Hosted out of state-of-the-art casino studios in Latvia and Malta, Evolution Gaming has become the clear leader when it comes to live dealer gaming, with its exciting range of live titles now hosted at some of the best online casino sites on the Web. Not only is Evolution’s high-end live dealer platform crystal clear with games hosted by professional, attractive dealers, the studio has gone above and beyond to create completely unique casino content, like Blackjack Party and the Jumbo 7 Jackpot progressive jackpot poker game. It is this commitment to innovation which will keep Evolution Gaming ahead of the live dealer market.
- Ezugi – Ezugi’s popularity may be trumped by Evolution Gaming, but this live dealer collection still packs a lot of punch. Ezugi’s range of live dealer blackjack, roulette, poker and baccarat games are filled with customisable features and side bet options, including live chat for those seeking a more sociable online casino game. Ezugi is also the only live dealer game studio to offer live dealer keno and lotto.
Microgaming and NetEnt also offer live dealer casino software, with Microgaming most famous for its range of Playboy Bunny live dealer games where the croupiers are beautiful women dressed in sexy Playboy Bunny outfits.