Singapore is renowned worldwide for its uncompromising approach to law and order. That reputation is well earned when it comes to online gaming and wagering, which remains heavily regulated despite recent legislative changes. Here, we walk you through Singapore’s gambling laws and how they apply to online sports betting and casino sites.
Singapore online gambling laws
Up until 2014, there were no laws that governed online gambling in Singapore. It was in that year that lawmakers, responding to a perceived need to combat gambling addiction, introduced a blanket ban on all forms of remote gaming and wagering.
That state of affairs last only two years. With no legitimate online gambling services at their disposal, punters instead took their business to offshore bookmakers and casino sites. Thus, in 2016, the laws were amended to allow online gambling services via two state-approved operators: the Singapore Turf Club and the Singapore Pools.
Despite this significant relaxation of legislation, there is uncertainty over the future of internet gambling in Singapore. The STC and the Pools only offer horse racing, soccer, F1 and lottery games between them, while online poker and casino sites remain blacklisted. Thus, gamblers continue to seek out overseas operators.
There is also the matter of whether Singapore ought to have online betting services at all. Problem gambling is a hot topic in this part of the world, and polls taken around the time of the 2016 amendments found that some 74 per cent of Singaporeans were against the move to legalise online gaming and wagering.
Online sports betting in Singapore
Although the Singapore Turf Club is the only operator permitted to offer online wagering services within the country’s borders, a number of reputable offshore betting sites accept customers from the region. The bookies below each hold online wagering licences in recognised regulatory jurisdictions and offer competitive odds, wide-ranging markets and outstanding customer service.
|#1||Bonus100% matched deposit, up to $520||
||> Review||Bet Now|
|#2||BonusDeposit €75, bet with €150||
||> Review||Bet Now|
|#3||Bonus50% matched deposit up to USD $5,000||
||> Review||Bet Now|
Betting options at Singapore bookmakers
- The sports of kings is one of precious few exceptions to Singapore’s prohibitive online gambling legislation. The Singapore Turf Club has a state-approved monopoly on the trade, but locals can enjoy a much greater spread of options with online betting sites that offer 24/7 horse racing from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the US and Europe.
- Singapore is a nation built on expats, so it should come as no surprise that the world game enjoys a massive following there. The Singapore Premier League draws plenty of attention from local fans, but the big money heads overseas to major European competitions such as the English Premier League, the Spanish Primera Division, the Italian Serie A and the UEFA Champions League.
- Tennis betting offers a veritable smorgasbord of wagering options all year round. Bookies do a roaring trade during the Australian Open, the Wimbledon Championships and the other grand slams, but there is also plenty of action during regular ATP and WTA events, the lower-tier tours, and team tournaments such as the Davis Cup and the Fed Cup.
- Why is it that so many of Formula One’s highlight events are staged in such tiny countries? The Singapore Grand Prix is an annual fixture on the F1 circuit and attracts big interest from gamblers worldwide, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. There are also hefty betting markets for Moto GP, NASCAR, the World Rally Championship and a host of other motorsports categories.
- There once was a time when American sports were little more than a niche interest outside the United States, but those days are long gone. The NBA now ranks among the most watched domestic sporting leagues in the world, while overseas interest in the NFL and the Super Bowl continues to grow year after year. Major League Baseball and NHL ice hockey are also well followed.
- Singapore’s diversity means betting interests vary widely from gambler to gambler. The best online bookies cover sporting codes from all over the globe, including:
- Australian football
- Gaelic football
- Greyhound racing
- Lawn bowls
- Mixed martial arts
- Rugby league
- Rugby union
- Table tennis
- Winter sports
Best casino sites in Singapore
Singapore has no online casino industry and takes a dim view of private card games and other forms of casual gambling. That said, there are several gambling sites that provide a safe haven for Singaporeans to play their favourite slot machines, table games and more.
|#1||Bonus$100 + 100 Free Spins||
||Join Us||> Review|
|#2||Bonus100% up to €1200||
||Join Us||> Review|
Real money games at Singapore casinos
- The best casino sites carry hundreds of real money slots from leading software developers such as Betsoft, Microgaming and NetEnt. These run the gamut from classic three-reel fruit machines to five-reel video slots loaded with bonus features and big progressive jackpots.
- You don’t need to book flights to Macau or Australia to enjoy authentic casino games in real time. Streamed direct to your screen in high definition, live dealer games are as close as you can get to a luxurious high-stakes gaming parlour without leaving your lounge room.
- A lot of people still don’t know that video poker is one of the best bets in the casino if you know the strategy. Real money casinos carry all the most popular titles, including Jacks or Better, All American, Aces and Eights, Deuces Wild, Joker Poker and Bonus Poker.
- Looking for something a bit different? Singapore casino sites also carry online bingo games, instant scratchies, real money keno, virtual horse racing, arcade-style games and much, much more.
Secure banking at Singapore gambling sites
Online bookmakers and casino sites offer a number of fast, secure methods for getting money in and out of your betting account. Open the tabs below to find out more.
- All reputable gambling sites support Visa and MasterCard transactions. Deposits are processed in a matter of seconds, while withdrawals (where available) can take as little as 24 hours for verified customers.
- If you are wary of sharing your credit card and bank account details, web wallets such as Neteller and Skrill are excellent solutions. Open a free account, load up some money and make secure payments online without giving out any sensitive information.
- Instant banking services allow you to make online payments from your personal bank account without the standard processing times. Most online casinos and betting sites accept transactions via Citadel Direct, which is available all over the world.
- Credit cards, e-wallets and other online payment services often come with daily transaction limits. Bank transfers and money wires take a few days to clear, but they remain the best way for high-stakes gamblers to move large sums of cash safely.
Latest Singapore gambling news
Florida voters to head to the polls to decide greyhound racing future
When Florida voters go to the polls to decide on the USA's mid-term elections in November, they'll also have the fate of the state's greyhound...
Surfing: Glatzer and Pinkerton take spoils at Pismo Beach Open
German star Leo Glatzer and American Kirra Pinkerton have been crowned the Pismo Beach Open Qualifying Series champions after the World Surf League event wrapped...
September gives New Jersey huge sports betting profit boost
Sports betting continues to go from strength to strength in New Jersey, the state responsible for its resurgence and legalisation across the USA.
Vincent Ho dominates in Hong Kong as Purton has rare bad day
Vincent Ho stole the show at Sha Tin (Saturday, 13 October) with a thrilling four timer while champion jockey Zac Purton had to settle for...
Surfing: Pismo Beach Open called on as youngster excels
USA: The World Surf League (WSL) Pismo Beach Open, a Men’s and Women’s Qualifying Series (QS) 1,000 event was called back on today for both...